录入时间:2007-8-15 9:13:56 |
1) take a rain check 改天吧
Model: [1998.8.北美(29)]
-- Can you come over for dinner tonight? (今天晚上来吃饭好吗?)
-- I’m up to my ears in work, so I’ll have to take a rain check.(我工作很忙,改日吧。)
2) lost count 弄不清楚
Model: [2000.1.(21)]
-- Ever since your girlfriend moved to Bridgeport, you are always driving there. How many trips a week do you make anyway?(自从你的女友搬到Bridgeport,你老是开车去看她。一周去几次啊?)
--I have lost count, but I can do it with my eyes closed.(搞不清楚了,但我闭着眼也能摸过去。)
3) be in another world 精神恍惚;魂不守舍
Model: [1996.5.(25)]
-- Pete’s really out of it these days.(Pete 这几天有点心不在焉。)
-- Yeah, I know. Ever since he met Ann, he’s been in another world.(我同意。自从他遇见Ann, 他就魂不守舍了。)
4) make yourself at home 随意,随便
Model: [1999.8.(7)]
-- Do you mind if I take off my jacket?(你介意我脱下夹克吗?)
-- Of course not, make yourself at home.(当然不介意,随意一点!)
5) save your breath 省口气吧;别白费口舌了
Model: [1995.10.(14)]
-- Hey? John! John!(嘿,John! John!)
-- Save your breath. He"s out of earshot.(省口气吧。他已经听不到了。)
6) make sense 有意义,理解
Model: [1999.1.(29)]
-- The plot of that movie is hard to follow.(那部电影的情节很难跟得上。)
-- It makes more sense the second time.(再看一遍就理解了。)
7) cost sb. an arm and a leg 非常昂贵
Model: [1999。1。(4)]
--Did you see the diamond ring Bill gave to Linda?(你看到Bill送给Linda的钻戒了吗?)
--I sure did. It must have cost him an arm and a leg.(当然了。那一定很昂贵。)
8) burn a hole in one’s pocket 很快地被花光
Model: [1997.10 ]
--Have you saved enough to buy that new printer for your computer yet? (你攒足钱给你的电脑买一台新打印机了吗?)
--You know money seems to be burning a hole in my pocket lately . Maybe next month. (这几个月我花钱如流水。也许下个月吧。)
9)fill one’s shoes 很好地顶替;令人满意地替代
Model: [1997.8.]
--Have you heard that Professor Jones is retiring? (你听说Jones教授要退休了吗?)
--Yes. The faculty won’t find anyone to fill her shoes. (是的。学校将很难找到合适的人来代替她。)
10)is ice cold 表示理所当然
Model: [1995.10.]
--Does Prof. Ford always come to class? (Ford教授总是来上课吗?)
--Is ice cold? (当然了。)
11)like apples and oranges 用来表示无法相比的事物
Model: [1997.1.]
--Which game do you think is more difficult to learn, chess or bridge? (你认为桥牌和象棋哪个更难学?)
--They are like apples and oranges. (它俩没法比较。)
12)look for a needle in a hay stack 大海捞针
Model: [1990.1.]
--We are supposed to meet John here at the train station. (我们要在火车站接John。)
--That’s like looking for a needle in a hay stack . (那可真是大海捞针。)
13)lose one’s train of 忘记
Model: [1995.1.]
--When you interrupted me, you made me lose my train of thought. (你打断了我的思考,我忘记我在想什么了。)
14)meet each other half way 相互妥协,让步
Model: [1992.8.]
--My chemistry project is in trouble because my partner and I had totally different ideas about how to proceed. (我的化学课题出问题了。在进展问题上,我与我的合作者意见完全不同。)
--You should try to meet each other half way. (你们应该相互妥协。)
15)on the dot 准时;正点
Model: [1992.8.]
--Did you and Amanda really meet exactly five minutes to two in front of the theatre? (你和Amanda确实在差5分两点的时候到达剧院门口了吗?)
--Yes, we were both there on the dot. (是的,我俩都准点到达。)
16)once and for all 最后一次;干脆
Model: [1996.1.]
--I am going to tell that neighbor of mine to turn down that music once and for all.(我要最后一次告诉我那个邻居把音乐声关小。)
--I see why you are angry. But I’ve always found that the polite route is the most effective. (我明白你为什么恼火。但我总觉得礼貌的方式是最有效的。)
17)out of earshot 不在听力所及范围
Model: [1995.10.]
--Hey? John! John! (嗨! John! John! )
--Save your breath. He’s out of earshot. (省口气吧,他听不见。)
18)out of this world 非常好
Model: [1995.10.]
--Have you tried Susan’s apple pie? (你试过Susan的苹果派吗?)
--I got the last piece. And it was out of this world. (我拿到最后一块。好吃极了。)
19)play by ear 随机应变,视情形而定
Model: [1989.8.]
--Marty, are you doing anything special for your presentation in political science tomorrow? (Marty,你在为明天的政治学演讲准备与众不同的材料吗?)
--Not really, because the class so often turns into a discussion, I’ve decided to play it by ear. (不。那门课常常最后变成讨论。我决定视情形而定。)
20) ring a bell 令人想起某件事;听起来耳熟
Model: [1992.10.]
--That name just doesn’t ring a bell with me. (那个名字我一点也不熟。)
21)share a common outlook 有共同的观点
Model: [1991.1.]
--Jeff and Alan share a common outlook on life. (Jeff 和Alan对于生活有共同的观点。)
22)six of one and half-a-dozen of the other 半斤八两;没什么区别
Model: [1989.1.]
--I can’t decide whether to take anthropology or geology this term. (我决定不了这学期是选人类学还是地理课。)
--It’s six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. (两门无甚差别。)
23)stick around 在附近逗留或等待
Model: [1995.5.]
--Leaving the party so soon? We’re just getting ready to cut the cake. (这么早就要走?我们刚准备要切蛋糕。)
--Sorry, I can’t stick around. (对不起,我不能继续待在这儿了。)
24)stick with 继续做,坚持
Model: [1996.8.]
--I wonder what this new flavor of ice cream tastes like? (我想知道这种新的冰激凌是什么味道?)
--I tried it last week. If I were you, I would stick with an old favorite. (上周我吃过,若我是你,我会继续吃以前爱吃的那种。)
25)straighten out 扯平;结清
Model: [1996.1.]
--I almost forgot. I still owe you ten dollars from the other night. Do you have change for a twenty? (我差点忘了。不久前的一个晚上我借了你10块钱,到现在还没还呢,你现在能找开20元的吗?)
--Oh, not at the moment. Let’s just straighten it out some other time. (哦,现在不能。以后再结清吧。)
26)toss and turn (身体)翻来覆去(通常表示难以入睡)
Model: [1993.1.]
--Last night I tossed and turned in bed, too exhausted to sleep. (昨晚我辗转反侧,怎么也睡不着)
27)turn one’s back (在别人遇到困难时)不愿帮助
Model: [1990.10.]
--He’ll turn his back on me if I ask for money. (我若向他借钱,他就会不理我。)
28)under the weather 身体不适,生病
Model: [1996.10.(26)]
--It’s good to see you, Mary. How have you been? (看见你真高兴,Mary。你好吗?)
--Actually I have been feeling under the weather recently. (其实这两天我身子不大舒服。) |
上页 1 下页 |
 |